[kwlug-disc] Linuxaria: Open Source Has Taken over the Software Industry

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Sun Mar 13 13:03:41 EDT 2016

>________________________________

Interesting. Thanks for the post.

I expect then, that this is merely an extension of what they did with Outlook -> outlook.com. To the rest of the desktop apps / ecosystem.

However, Russell ... I can't align two things in your post: (1) "I will be very happy when the concept of a desktop computer disappears"; (2) "can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or portable media player from my cold dead hands!"

Never mind that as soon as {whatever} is hosted, particularly on a U.S. server, the very concepts of privacy, security, and confidentiality, go straight out the window.

(At the least, we are all not doing a good enough job explaining why this matters / big brother WILL put such to use for unexpected, unforeseen, and unpalatable uses, and by then it will be too late. I do not understand why more people, and every average person, aren't more concerned about that. e.g. per news items, even one's in flight meal choices will be filed with the U.S. government when one books a flight.)