[kwlug-disc] Linuxaria: Open Source Has Taken over the Software Industry

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 10:15:02 EDT 2016

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 3:57 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:

> Wait, what?
>

> https://linuxaria.com/article/how-linux-has-advanced-computer-technology-and-everyone-wins-as-a-result
>
> > Windows 10 will be the last desktop version of the operating system
> > that once gave Microsoft dominance in the PC software market. After
> > that, Windows will be offered on a subscription basis and run from
> > the cloud, but this will not be a Microsoft-exclusive cloud.
> > Internally, Windows will be virtualized within software containers
> > running on Ubuntu.
>
> I understand this to mean that the desktop OS distributed by Microsoft
> will be Ubuntu, running a VM that runs Windows from The Cloud.  Am I
> just insufficiently caffeinated?

  I would take this to be that Windows 10 is their last *desktop* operating
system, and that they realize that the devices in people's possession will
be running a mobile operating system (Like ChromeOS or Android, with Google
leading the way in the new market).

  This means that applications previously run on desktops like office
suites and photo editing (Photoshop) will be in the cloud where the
computing is there, and the mobile OS is the user interface only.   Adobe
and Microsoft have already been moving this direction, so this announcement
isn't as surprising as this article would suggest.

  Remember that when Google announced ChromeOS they had Citrix there, with
the suggestion being in those early days that desktop apps should be
virtualized into the server infrastructure, with mobile/portable/disposable
devices providing the UI.  I know as someone in an IT team at an office
with legacy desktops (Windows and MacOS) that we are sometimes expected to
support I will be very happy when the concept of a desktop computer
disappears (We will have workstations for advanced developers, and mobile
OS's for everyone else).

Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property rights
as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition! http://l.c11.ca/ict/

manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or portable
media player from my cold dead hands!" http://c11.ca/own