[kwlug-disc] Vmedia IPTV & MythTV

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Tue Mar 1 23:33:27 EST 2016

>________________________________

I just switched to Bell's FibeTV last month. i.e. With Rogers analogue cable tv now dead, did much searching around of the alternatives. Hell must indeed have frozen over, for me to be back with Bell.

In the search the impression I came away with of Vmedia is of flakiness. It appears that their network (reliability) is 'not there yet.' Made me think of Acanac, which I was very happy with, of a few years ago. Growing pains.

Ultimately for me it came down to STB out of box experience. None of the boxes today, as even my older Panasonic PVR had, have VLC's ability to not mute at fast forward, never mind slow motion and frame advance/reverse. Go figure, as the boxes are all Linux under the hood. (Except Bell, which I believe is Windows.)

I'm not real sure you want to MythTV with anything these days - given the need for their box to decrypt the incoming signal first. e.g. I'll guess you will only be able to capture one show at once, whatever you have manually put on screen at the time. Myth won't be able to tune it, merely instruct the box to change the channel, at best - but I expect that's what you meant.

Do keep us apprised of your experience, I expect many here will be interested. And as more services bring more web facilities on board, such as remotely instructing the box to record a show, I expect more functionality will be possible. (And, as Rogers and Bell STBs talk to secondary boxes, unlike Zazeen and Vmedia, there must be an API underneath. Proprietary and hidden ... but that's just a matter of time for the community to solve, not that they won't solve it.)