[kwlug-disc] FLOSS contributions

Marius Kintel marius at kintel.net
Wed Aug 17 12:33:35 EDT 2016

Hi Paul,

Hard questions.
Developer docs are sparse, since it little motivation in writing good docs if nobody reads them. Updating docs is something we try to do when actually needed, or try to encourage people to write down their experiences for doc contribution purposes. Most of this is normal stuff though, so it shouldn’t pose a problem for software professionals. It’s a bit harder for hobbyists or students with little professional experience.

The most successful first contributions are fixing existing bugs, missing tests, documentation or examples or build system tweaks, as they don’t really require any design discussions.

We do have reasonable patience, but as I work on my project mostly on my spare time, it can take days to be able to meaningfully respond to emails. The same goes for other community members. Hand holding tends to work best on IRC.
The largest risk is that the final contribution isn’t suitable for merging, for various reasons (code quality, feature not designed well enough, feature introducing ambiguity or conflict with other features or other planned features, lack of testing). Some people know that there is a chance that written code will not be used and are comfortable with that. Others lose motivation really fast.
Most unsuccessful larger contribution attempts fail since there isn’t time to do a proper design of the suggested feature (partially since core devs are too busy to engage in a large design discussion when there are more pressing issues).

Cleanup and refactoring work do require decent knowledge of the project. Contributing to the core of a project is, ideally, a long term commitment due to the time required to get into the project. Think about it as onboarding as a new software developer in a company - that’s not done over night either..

Hope that helps,

 -Marius