[kwlug-disc] FLOSS contributions

Tue Aug 16 19:30:57 EDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-08-16 at 02:00 -0400, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> Who here contributes to FLOSS projects? In what ways do you
> contribute? What were the biggest barriers you faced in getting
> started?

I contribute to FLOSS projects. Most of my contributions have been in
the form of quality assurance, promotion, documentation and other non-
code related contributions.

> Who has had intentions of contributing to open source, but been
> stymied? What were the roadblocks?

The biggest roadblock was understanding how I could contribute.

> Would you be interested in helping others get up to speed
> in making contributions?

My firt major contribution to Ubuntu was on the 'Beginners Team' which
was formed for the sole purpose of helping interested people find
avenues to contribute that fit their interests.

> Who here speaks multiple (human) languages? Have you ever considered
> translating software? Have you ever done so? What level of technical
> expertise is required to do so?

I do not speak any additional languages, but let me know if I can be of
assistance. I am currently involved in the Fedora community, but still
have contacts in the Ubuntu community.

Charles