[kwlug-disc] Meeting formats

spooky jim keefer.rourke at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 09:50:49 EDT 2016

B.S., in my honest opinion, if KWLUG turned into 'let's all watch a
video about this thing and talk about it!' -- I wouldn't go. I'd watch
the video myself and maybe read some of the YouTube comments. I feel
like if this became the preferred 'presentation' style, group
attendance would drop dramatically. I think
YouTube/Vimeo/MediaGoblin/other is a great resource for tutorials on
Stuff(tm), but it's probably not great as a primary resource for KWLUG
for the following reason:

*People are lazy.* If you give me the opportunity to watch the
presentation from the comfort of my own home, why should I go out?

I personally like the current presentation style, and found last
meeting to be excellent in several respects: the presentations were
great overviews without going into a ton of technical detail, they
provided applicable knowledge, some were funny, they were engaging.
Paul's presentation in particular I found to be very enjoyable.

> No reason to kibosh freely available material in favour of forcing
> everyone to reinvent the wheel every time.

I hardly think that making a presentation on a topic that one is
knowledgeable or interested in would be considered 'reinventing the
wheel.' Compiling and over-viewing information from multiple sources
and experiences is a really important part of improving and sharing
information for the betterment of the community. I would think that
providing a link to a related YouTube video as a part of a "Further
Reading" section at the end of a presentation would be appropriate, but
not as the entire presentation itself.

> Material preparation is hard and onerous, and not everyone's cup of
> tea.

Agreed - doing things is *hard*. People who don't want to do things,
don't do them. Just because you don't want to make a presentation
however, does not mean others don't as well. If you really want to
share something, I feel like you can put a little effort into doing so.

TL;DR: I'm with Paul on this, I think YouTube KWLUG would be incredibly
boring and not worth attending. I like the current presentation style.

-
Regards,
Keefer C. Rourke

Honours Computer Science (B. Comp.)