[kwlug-disc] Meeting formats

Tue Aug 9 16:09:23 EDT 2016

Paul and group:

I noticed this email on the list and wanted to pass along my experience
organizing LUGOR (Linux User Group of Rochester).

We were having suggestions of splitting up the presentations with
smaller ones to facilitate the diverse audience we had. We had Linux
users, Linux beginners, Linux sys admins and developers. Each group was
starting to have issues with showing up to a meeting that was aimed at
another interest group.

Our meetings were historically two hours long and we ended up with a
format of two to three presentations. One would be 45-60 minutes and
the other two would be 15-30 minutes each. At first the format was
great and well received, but after roughly four months I was having
issues with finding people to present. At the same time my home and
work demands increased and it became a burden to plan and organize the
monthly meetings. Currently, Lugor meets on a non-regular basis for
meetings.

I wanted to give you this perspective in case your user group is
contemplating its meeting format.

Charles