[kwlug-disc] Meeting for August

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 11:56:06 EDT 2016

On 04/26/2016 08:01 PM, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
>> ... interesting to discuss using Tor software (Tails: ... from
>> verifying downloads to setting programs up, and running...
>> GnuPG/PGP keysigning party...?
>
> This sounds like a reasonable plan if we can find some people to
> speak about the topic who have used the technologies in question.
> Do we have any such volunteers?

Would that be used at home and/or in the enterprise? I presume someone
would only speak on a topic that they've used, in general, otherwise
it'd be a theoretical and/or philosophical discussion ?

Would the group members be interested in a presentation covering
security-related topics (including privacy-enhancing technologies) ...
Encryption in general at the next meeting, or has that already been
decided ?

Other potential topics...
1. Scripting in the BASH shell.
2. Pros/Cons of using various open-source, free/libre operating systems
3. Managing/maintaining your family photo collection.
4. SELinux
5. Systemd (pros and cons, how about an honest discussion)
6. Licensing types (https://www.fsf.org/licensing)
7. Avoiding vendor lockin
(ex. http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/79417.html)
8. Email vs. texting vs. twitter vs. FB vs. good old fashioned phone cal
9. Open firmware / open hardware
10. Encrypted  backup to your home network
11. Web browser vulnerability and how GNU/Linux distributions compare
to OpenBSD,OSX,etc.
12. I've never used Arduino, would it be useful for me? Could it
replace my old computers?
13. Energy savings. Would it be less expensive to run a newer computer
that hibernates vs. my old computer. Does it cost more per year to run
my old computer than a modern computer?

A lot of this can be combined for a single presentation, or certain
aspects of each can be compared/juxtaposed with other topics, in
regards to related technologies/goals/etc. For example, scripting
reduces chances of introducing human error (PEBKAC), thereby
increasing security, etc. I view this in much the same way as
composing a research paper, you choose a topic, make an outline,
compose, edit, and edit some more.

> I know that a few people (Andrew, Bob, ...) have run keysignings
> in the past, so that could be part of the event as well. - Paul

Bob's addressed this already, I believe.

- --
Daniel Villarreal
http://www.youcanlinux.org
youcanlinux at gmail.com
PGP key 2F6E 0DC3 85E2 5EC0 DA03  3F5B F251 8938 A83E 7B49
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF2518938A83E7B49