[kwlug-disc] Meeting for August

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 16:48:03 EDT 2016

On 04/25/2016 01:35 PM, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> It looks like Ian Goldberg's student Nik Unger is not going to be
> able to present in August (but will be scheduling for later in the
> year). Thus August is available. We could either try one of these
> group presentation things (short demos, how the Internet works,
> etc) or we could schedule some formal presentations. If you have
> suggestions post them to me or the list.
>
> - Paul

I would like to see more information on the lines of the following
talk by Dr. Goldberg back in February 2016, in particular, privacy
enhancing technologies.

Battling Internet censorship and surveillance
Privacy Enhancing Technologies for the Internet
Ian Goldberg
Cryptography, Security, and Privacy (CrySP) Research Group
University Research Talk
http://livestream.com/itmsstudio/events/4783392

I think it would be interesting to discuss using Tor software (Tails:
"Live OS preconfigured to use Tor safely"), from verifying downloads
to setting programs up, and running.

See http://torproject.org/
See https://youcanlinux.wordpress.com/cookie-stuff-and-browsers/

We could also make this a GnuPG/PGP keysigning party, or at least
discuss it?

https://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN554
refers to https://herrons.com/keysigning-party-guide/
(NOTE: I have no desire to check anyone's picture identification, but
I might, maybe, perhaps be okay with Bob vouching for everyone being
who they say they are? Thoughts? Yes, security is a balance between
security and convenience, but as a hobbyist I currently have no need
to maintain optimal security parameters, even though I would be
interested in the pros and cons of followign best-practice guidelines.

cf. http://linuxreviews.org/howtos/gnupg/signingparty/

- --
Daniel Villarreal
http://www.youcanlinux.org
youcanlinux at gmail.com
PGP key 2F6E 0DC3 85E2 5EC0 DA03  3F5B F251 8938 A83E 7B49
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF2518938A83E7B49