[kwlug-disc] Let's Encrypt out of beta

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 18:50:09 EDT 2016

On 04/13/2016 05:05 PM, Jason Locklin wrote:
> There's a pretty long list of sponsors on their website, I doubt
> they are beholden to anyone. They have so much goodwill and support
> from groups like Eff and Mozilla that have genuine interest in
> securing the web...

Mozilla's not just in it for financial gain?

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Partnering/Repacks/Policy_and_Process#Revenue-i
mpacting_Changes

mission statement
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mission/

See #9 of their manifesto. Hmmm.

> , I doubt they are going to have any trouble funding their
> relatively low-overhead project long term.
>
> I also think a lot of us have sent small donations since they saved
> us a few bucks a year and a whole bunch of hassle. I certainly did
> and it's a bargain.
>
> On 13/04/16 04:11 PM, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
>> ... the Linux Foundation is getting more cozy with their
>> corporate buddies... there's a difference between "Project XYZ
>> sponsored by Very Big Company" and "Project XYZ presented by Very
>> Big Company".  It all comes back to what does the corporate
>> sponsor wants in return for their support...

>> http://www.eweek.com/security/lets-encrypt-internet-security-initiati
ve-exits-beta.html

the project is dangerous, because it depends on continued corporate
>> sponsorship for its existence. Once our "friends" at the big
>> companies drop their sponsorships, it will fall apart.
>>
>> Depends on the overhead I guess.  A quick kickstarter fund would
>> likely be funded by its users and fans, in case of an
>> emergency...

- --
Daniel Villarreal
http://www.youcanlinux.org
youcanlinux at gmail.com
PGP key 2F6E 0DC3 85E2 5EC0 DA03  3F5B F251 8938 A83E 7B49
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF2518938A83E7B49