[kwlug-disc] Test 01

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri Apr 1 23:00:41 EDT 2016

Yahoo Mail is broken. Making the list conform to Yahoo's requirements
breaks the list functionality as well, specifically, that it is no
longer possible to reply to the originator of the message since that
address is no longer in a standard mail header.

The "From" address should be that of the person who wrote the message,
the "Sender" is the mailing list, which resends to subscribers on behalf
of the originator. The "Reply-to" address could be set by the originator
of the message. If "Reply-to" is not set by the orginator then the list
can optionally set it to the list address, but for proper conformance
the list should not change the "Reply-to" address if it receives one.

In practice, many recipients' mail clients don't have an option to reply
to the list address if "From" and "Reply-to" are both set to the
originator's address, and so recipients will inadvertently reply to the
orginator, which is not what anyone usually wants. So, many mailing list
admins set the "Reply-to" address to that of the list. Sadly, most
mailing list software will blindly overwrite a "Reply-to" set by the
originator of the message, but many mailing list admins (including me)
find that non-conformance acceptable. The only mailing list software
that seems to do this properly is Listserv (but please let me know if
there are others).

Paul, please put the list configuration back the way it was. Pandering
to Yahoo's whims just prolongs its death throes.

- --Bob.

- --