[kwlug-disc] suggestions for promoting linux for whitehorse makerspace

Jotham Apaloo jothamapaloo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 14:46:04 EDT 2015

Hi All,

I moved up north a couple months ago. there's not many tech things going on
here, but there are a couple of organizations around. One is the local
makerspace, yukonstruct. They have a lot of competency in the area of
mechanical devices, and there are a couple computing people but they are
MAC/WIndows users with little time on their hands for administration.

They need to set up several computers this month. Their current system
consists of 7 workstations in a main computer lab, and 3 or 4 other
workstations connected to 3d printing machine, CNC router, laser cutter. I
don't know the exact models right now. Some of the computers are refurbs
for which they get windows licenses for $10, but a few new ones require
paying for a full windows license. They will also have to pay for deep
freeze licenses.

I am doing (i.e. emailing you lot) some research to see about putting linux
on all/some of their computers. I think it would be simpler to maintain,
less prone to malware, less expensive, and a better fit with the mission
and values of the makerspace. There is already some resistance to
introducing new things (which is really unfortunate for a makerspace), but
if I can give some specs and pricing for a nice setup of the machines and
network, they may be willing to adopt Linux.

I'm looking for a distro suggestion and package suggestions for:

   - *nonpersistent user sessions/data (comparable to deep freeze)*
      - maybe since permissions and resource is easy to limit on linux,
      users could have persistent data
      - *software equivalents for *
      - corel draw suite (inkscape?)
      - sketchup,
      - aspire,
      - autodesk suite, (blender?, +?)
      - preform (looks like no alternative)
   - *best way to incorporate a windows station, if necessary*
      - WINE?
      - virtual machines?
      - a windows server on the network and wine/vm on all other machines
      as clients?
   - *any other related suggestions*

it would be a bonus if each of the general workstations could send jobs to
the machines connected to manufacturing devices. This could happen on a
longer time frame but open to thoughts now.

Thanks,
Jotham
--
Jotham Apaloo