[kwlug-disc] Problem reaching server

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Mar 12 19:04:56 EDT 2015

That happened to me when I had bridging on the physical host that has
virtualization. Things work, until you reboot, then server is not reachable.

I didn't figure out why, and ended up abandoning the bridge I added to
/etc/network/interfaces, and using the default networking that is setup by
libvirt.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 6:51 PM, CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm puzzled...  I rebooted my Ubuntu server this morning (as updates
> needed a reboot) and now I can't reach it.
>
> Here's what I determined:
>
> It was running fine before the reboot!
> I can't ping the server from another machine on the same subnet.
> I can't SSH to the server.
> SSH is running on the server.
> I can't telnet to the server
> I can ssh from the server to itself, so ssh is running and listening on 22.
> If I try to ssh from another linux box on the same subnet, using either
> hostname or IP, I get "No route to host".
> Traceroute should only one hop, that being the client I started traceroute
> from, but that line ends in !H, which I believe means can't connect.
> IP address is fine.
> I can't ping out from the server.
> Now here's the fun part: I have two virtual machines hosted on this
> server, and they're both running fine.  I can connect to them and they can
> connect to the internet.
>
> Not sure what to think at this point.  Anyone have any ideas?

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal
wrong." -- H.L. Mencken