[kwlug-disc] Problem reaching server

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 18:51:34 EDT 2015

I'm puzzled...  I rebooted my Ubuntu server this morning (as updates needed
a reboot) and now I can't reach it.

Here's what I determined:

It was running fine before the reboot!
I can't ping the server from another machine on the same subnet.
I can't SSH to the server.
SSH is running on the server.
I can't telnet to the server
I can ssh from the server to itself, so ssh is running and listening on 22.
If I try to ssh from another linux box on the same subnet, using either
hostname or IP, I get "No route to host".
Traceroute should only one hop, that being the client I started traceroute
from, but that line ends in !H, which I believe means can't connect.
IP address is fine.
I can't ping out from the server.
Now here's the fun part: I have two virtual machines hosted on this server,
and they're both running fine.  I can connect to them and they can connect
to the internet.

Not sure what to think at this point.  Anyone have any ideas?