[kwlug-disc] Kubuntu going away?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Jun 27 09:48:23 EDT 2015

Per this article, it may vanish as a distro variant ...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Kubuntu-15.10-Worrying-State

Last week, my laptop hard disk died. Remember when I said I never install
unless it is a new machine or when a hard disk dies? Well, that was one
case of that.
So I replaced the hard disk, and had to reinstall Kubuntu.
I did not do it by downloading kubuntu 14.04, but rather started with
Ubuntu Server LTS 14.04, since I had the CD lying around.

Here is what I did after installing to get to a working KDE desktop with
Wifi and Sound.

# Install the basic KDE desktop
aptitude install kde-plasma-desktop

# Install the tools to get WiFi going
aptitude install plasma-widget-networkmanagement

# A few add ons
aptitude install kubuntu-restricted-addons

# Firefox and Flash
aptitude install firefox flashplugin-installer

# Suspend and Hibernate tools
aptitude install acpitool acpitail acpi-support
# Some widgets I use
aptitude install plasma-widgets-addons

# To prevent typing from moving the mouse
aptitude install kde-touchpad

# Sound configuration
aptitude install kmix

# Make LightDM the default window manager
dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

# Configure suspend and hibernate
cd /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/

cat > com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla <<EOF
[Enable hibernate by default]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate
ResultActive=yes
EOF

cat > com.ubuntu.enable-suspend.pkla <<EOF
[Enable suspend by default]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.upower.suspend
ResultActive=yes
EOF

And that is about it ...

So my question is: can I still do this if Kubuntu dies away?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.