[kwlug-disc] Router dying?

Sandeep Johri sandeepjohri at rogers.com
Mon Jun 22 05:23:10 EDT 2015

I have a DLink (DIR655 - 2+ years old) as my 'main' router - it is
connected to the cable modem / router.  I also have a Linksys (WRT54GS -
5+ years old) also connected to the cable model / router running DDWrt
which manages a gaming PC including the related QOS and our 'guest
wifi'.  I have a third DLink (5+ years old - serving as a repeater /
range extender) in our bedroom upstairs where the wifi signal from my
main router doesn't reach.  It is connected using powerline adapters
(DLink) to the main router.  I have disabled the cable modem / router wifi.

I've found both DLink and Linksys routers that I'm using to be very
reliable.  I do however need to restart my main DLink router every
month or so - unfortunately the stock firmware doesn't include a
scheduled restart feature.

The above set-up suports Windows (office laptops), linux (home PCs /
laptops) android, blackberry, apple IPADs / IPODs (assuming that's IOS)
and an HP OfficeJet connected via an ethernet cable and any device that
my friends or my kids friends bring.

I have tried a few other brands that were cheaper however had issues
where certain devices wouldn't connect, restarts were required
frequently (one required it daily - and it couldn't be configured) and
the throughput would deteriorate significantly if several devices were
connected at once.  Hence I would caution against using price as a key
parameter as the related issues may make the purchase less worthwhile.
As shown by the age of my routers - my knowledge is a bit dated.

My 2 cents.....

From:
Sandeep Johri