[kwlug-disc] Router dying?

John Van Ostrand john at vanostrand.com
Thu Jun 18 11:49:49 EDT 2015

By no means an expert at off-the-shelf routers I generally look for routers
that are also supported (or soon to be) by open source firmware. That way
if I want some advanced feature I can change the firmware.

I should point out that I'm not a sophisticated router user. I use Linux as
a firewall and OTS routers just as access points. Next time I make changes
at home I'll probably go with something like an OTS router or a raspi, or
something similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wireless_router_firmware_projects

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 10:56 AM, CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
> wrote:

> My Netgear WNDR3700 may be dying.  No internet connection on any devices.
> I can hit a few of the devices on my network from elsewhere on the network,
> but not reliably.  I can't ping the router.
>
> The WNDR3700 is running OpenWRT, and has been for probably over a year
> now.  I've had this router for several years, it's outlasted any other
> routers I've had so I'm sad to see it go.
>
> I tried the factory reset button but no luck.
>
> So I'm shopping again.  I would like to stay with Netgear as this one did
> so well for me.  I put my routers through a lot of work, with video
> streaming over wi-fi, laptops and tablet users, remote connections, you
> name it.  So I'll need a good heavy-duty box.
>
> Thinking of the Netgear Nighthawk, but that may require re-mortgaging the
> house and kids...
>
> Any recommendations from the experts here?

John Van Ostrand
At large on sabbatical