[kwlug-disc] Router dying?

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 10:56:41 EDT 2015

My Netgear WNDR3700 may be dying.  No internet connection on any devices.
I can hit a few of the devices on my network from elsewhere on the network,
but not reliably.  I can't ping the router.

The WNDR3700 is running OpenWRT, and has been for probably over a year
now.  I've had this router for several years, it's outlasted any other
routers I've had so I'm sad to see it go.

I tried the factory reset button but no luck.

So I'm shopping again.  I would like to stay with Netgear as this one did
so well for me.  I put my routers through a lot of work, with video
streaming over wi-fi, laptops and tablet users, remote connections, you
name it.  So I'll need a good heavy-duty box.

Thinking of the Netgear Nighthawk, but that may require re-mortgaging the
house and kids...

Any recommendations from the experts here?