[kwlug-disc] Linux Conference

Nick Guenther nguenthe at uwaterloo.ca
Sat Jun 6 16:01:52 EDT 2015

On June 6, 2015 1:18:47 PM EDT, "B. S." <bs27975 at yahoo.ca> wrote:

>I suspect the very environment works 'against you'. There are only so
>many hours in a day, so much capacity to learn new stuff, and people
>usually focus on what's in front of them at the moment. Never mind use
>it or lose it. (No point refamiliarizing myself with Cobol if I won't
>be writing in it any time soon.) So when some 'technology' reaches some
>saturation point for me, my long experience and expertise, given the
>rich (and free) web environment for resources (references,
>documentation, how to's, expert help), means I can go and pick up the
>knowledge then, and only then. I do not need to 'waste' time attending
>gatherings where the first 7/8 of the time is bringing those new to the
>topic up to the speed I'm already at. So, presumably, your target
>audience are those new to the ecosystem, and those needing to sink into
>the nature of a beastie of a new technology. Cloud infrastructure, or
>multi-location network infrastructure establishment, come to mind. Not
>an easy audience to gather, let alone content satisfy.

This. This is the reason. The more content we create (computer or otherwise) the more fractured we become. Being either hopelessly bored or hopelessly out of my depth are very effective turn offs for me. This is probably why I prefer workshops and hackathons to presentations and advocacy; at least with those you can come home with a new toy. Colin, could you incorporate that into your plan?

I wish there was OkC for programming collaborations.