[kwlug-disc] btrfs(raid5) or ext4/mdadm(raid5) ?

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 3 20:53:58 EDT 2015

Hi all,

Since BTRFS has become meeting topics lately...

I have EXT4 filesystem on top of MDADM raid5.  I'm very comfortable with
this setup, because I know all the commands.  Lately, though, it's
showing bad sectors, but the read errors are "corrected", so far.

Replacing the suspect disks is the correct thing to do.  But, I would
like to continue to use the disks until they really die, because it's
only personal stuffs, and it's good excuse to try out something else.

BTRFS has raid features built into the filesystem.  So, my question is,
    Is BTRFS with raid5 options better than EXT4/MDADM for handling bad
    sectors?
--
William