[kwlug-disc] OT: Teksavvy DSL plans

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Thu Jan 29 17:25:36 EST 2015

On 2015-01-29 12:54, B.S. wrote:
> If there's a spike of the sort you're talking about, it will be coming
> down the electrical (likely), not the twisted pair or cable ...

Lightning induced voltage spikes may be seen on aerial spans including
the twisted pair, cable or electrical mains.
http://www.carebase.com/WP-Effects-Of-Induced-Voltage-Surges-White-Paper-Lightning-transients-and-their-effects-on-telecommunications-electronics-and-computersystems.htm

I have replaced modems and DSL modems due to faults created by lightning.

The mains can also suffer spikes that have other sources than lightning,
e.g. faults in the distribution system itself.
And these spikes like will not appear on the twisted pair or cable.

JohnJ