[kwlug-disc] OT: Teksavvy DSL plans

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Tue Jan 20 00:02:06 EST 2015

But Bell's FTTN is changing that equation. Essentially, bringing that
5km distant endpoint to your local neighbourhood.

Regardless, Bell will never be able to deliver speeds that cable does,
as Khalid points out. And ignore Roger's 'hybrid fibre' marketing
nonsense - in the end, what matters is the connection media actually
coming in to your residence. With Roger's, that's cable, with Bell,
that's twisted pair - unless and until one or the other brings in actual
Fibre. Until then, cable will win out. Add in voip.ms and you can toss
Bell / twisted pair.

I've just / am going through this right now - Acanac is a better deal
than Vmedia now - let alone with the current $20/month 1st 3 months
deal. And their TV solution, should you ever go to it, is all channel
local PVR, not a some channels PVR to the cloud nonsense of Vmedia. And
looks like TV offerings of any non-netflix type is going to be tied to
ISP provider for some time to come. e.g. Rogers shomi is tied to having
their internet.

My switchover to Acanac is to occur next weekend; modem already
received. No visit supposed to be necessary. I didn't opt for TV at this
time. Still have / am satisfied with basic (analog) cable TV - but
once/if Rogers ever forces me off that (killing my Pioneer PVR in the
process) I may look at Zazeen again. Thus my current investigation as to
whether or not XBMC / Plex / etc. can duplicate my current basic cable
needs turnkey like. (No, not a presentation.) I'm trying to watch LESS
TV, not more! Argh.