[kwlug-disc] A little anti-Windows humour for the group

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Sun Jan 11 18:31:41 EST 2015

On 01/11/2015 12:17 PM, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> I used to live in Download.com way back when, but even before I
> discovered Linux I started to grow disillusioned with free Windows
> software, mainly because of how Windows freeware was getting laced
> with all sorts of scary things, even from a prestigious website like
> download.com <http://download.com>, which is owned by cnet.com
> <http://cnet.com>.
>
> This article by How To Geek shows the messes you can get into if you
> try to download the "Top 10" recommended freeware packages.  A fun read:
>
> http://www.howtogeek.com/198622/heres-what-happens-when-you-install-the-top-10-download.com-apps/

Unfortunately, the only thing stopping this from happening on our
systems is popularity.

How many project pages have I gone to that said "Ubuntu users can add
SomeGuy99's PPA". Who knows what that's throwing in there.

It's even worse if you're not an Ubuntu user. I've actually googled for
packages before. Granted, I'm careful enough to pick them apart before
installing them (honestly, I should be stripping the .spec file and
rebuilding, but who has time for that).

--
Chris Irwin
e: <chris at chrisirwin.ca>