[kwlug-disc] VoIP in 2015

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jan 10 03:20:02 EST 2015

Dear Lazyweb,

A few years ago people would get into Asterisk vs FreeSWITCH
fistfights. But now it is 2015, and both projects are fairly mature.
Is there a clear winner between the two? Is going with either one
"good enough" as a PBX? I am currently playing with FusionPBX for
FreeSWITCH and Elastix for Asterisk.

The capacity of these systems would be 30-100 extensions and 4-10
incoming trunk lines (some of which will be VoIP channels purchased
through a provider like voip.ms or Unlimitel, and some of which will
be POTS lines through Execulink).

I am also interested in knowing the state of handsets. If I am looking
for fairly cheap and fairly reliable (but not that featureful) then
are there clear recommendations? How much should I expect to spend on
a simple business-class handset (B&W LED display, comes with power
brick, supports multiple lines via line pools). Basically I would
be looking for approximately the same functionality you get with old
Norstar handsets.

As usual, the Internet has many opinions about these things, and I do
not know what to trust.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org