[kwlug-disc] SSH to a VM

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 14:51:19 EST 2015

I finally returned to the idea of building some VMs on my home network on
an Ubuntu server.  I found uvt-kvm to be a stupid-easy way to actually make
the VMs (in this case, a straightforward Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop install).

The VM is running fine when I view it in Virtual Machine Manager from a
separate desktop client (connect to the host, then open the VM from the
list).  I've set up port forwarding on my router, installed SSH on the VM,
made sure it's running, installed a ddclient and set up the machine name on
dyn.com, generally everything I've done on other physical Ubuntu machines.

However, when I try to connect remotely via SSH, I get "Error in TightVNC
Viewer: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not
properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed
because connected host has failed to respond."

I get this error when I'm outside my network.  From within the network, I
get "no route to host" if I use "ssh jeff at 192.168.122.15".

Note that my network runs on the 10.x.x.x subnet. The 192.168.122.x came
from virbr0 on the physical host box.

If I try to ssh from the physical host to the VM, I get "Permission denied
(publickey)" before it even asks me to login.

So I seem to be missing a hop somewhere from my router to the virtual
machine.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the connection?