[kwlug-disc] Google email IPv6 problem

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Dec 24 17:05:37 EST 2015

Over the past couple of weeks, I am having problems with email.
My domains forward email to my Gmail account, and I have a Reply-To set to
an email in my domain.

Other sending me email would get the following errors. Some hosts are fine
(e.g. Yahoo), but not others (e.g. Hotmail). This also applies to some
email from cron scripts.

The error is:

Our system has detected that this 550-5.7.1 message does not meet IPv6
sending guidelines regarding PTR records 550-5.7.1 and authentication.

Please review 550-5.7.1
https://support.google.com/mail/?p=ipv6_authentication_error for more
550-5.7.1 information.

There are several recommendations when you Google for this message, such as
restricting Gmail to IPv4, ...etc.

For example:
http://tanguy.ortolo.eu/blog/article109/google-ipv6-smtp-restrictions

But what ended up working for me is to go to Linode where my domains are
hosted, and setup a Reverse DNS. This is not placed somewhere obvious, e.g.
under DNS. In Linode's manager, click your linode, then from the menu,
select "Remote Access", then "Reverse DNS". Once you setup both an IPv4 and
IPv6 for your host, Google will stop complaining.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.