[kwlug-disc] 8-bay OTA antenna - $50

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 9 19:05:00 EST 2015

Checking now, gone appear to be the US networks, which are mostly simsub'ed to Canadian ones (that are still present).

Yes, this is analogue cable TV. (And I am only on basic TV.) I don't get anything US over OTA either. Can't even depend upon 5 / CBC, for that matter - even if I point right at it. I think for where I am it's bouncing / reflecting around too much to stay locked in for any reasonable amount of time. It seemed OK last summer, so this may be season / tree related. There's a tree I cannot avoid in that direction - curiously, though, it's gone now, when the leaves are too. Curious.

Thank you for that heads up, I hadn't noticed the channel loss yet. I looked at my Tivo's todo list and I'm able to redirect anything lost to Canadian simsub equivalents - except for PBS. Not that I record them much - did just get making of magical mystery tour, and britfloyd (pink floyd). I see an Ed Sullivan look back that was scheduled. Gone now, I suppose. Can live without it.

And thanks for the USTVnow reference - will have to check it out.

Add to my prior Acanac / Zazeen notes: One of the advantages of Acanac were the extras, such as VPN. They've now shut down those extras. Interestingly, Zazeen has now started up a free VPN for their subscribers. (Since this is all Distributel back end stuff, and the VPN was working very, very well, I expect the Zazeen VPN to do as well.)

Gone appear to be:
11 - WGRZ (NBC)
13 - Rogers Cable TV guide channel
15 - WNED (PBS) -> fishtank channel, a la 70 CTV Newsnet
17 - WGRZ (NBC)
19 - Treehouse

Also gone from that range, some time ago:
21 - W
22 - SNO
24 - CP24

Some, like CP24 aren't gone due to Rogers, CP24 shut down. And I believe the problem with 70 CTV Newsnet is they stopped broadcasting in analogue / SD, and I guess Rogers chose not to convert the remaining HD signal for their customers.