[kwlug-disc] Best DIY git service options

Giles Malet gdmalet at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 09:38:03 EST 2015

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 19:53:33 +0000 (UTC)
"B.S." <bs27975 at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> To a vm, or to physical hardware?

Often on my laptop, but also on my workstation at my desk sometimes. The overheads are minimal.

> If this is being used by faculty / course material, then material classes

It's mostly the computer science / engineering crowd using it, as they're actually writing code and using Git for that purpose. But I've seen slides etc. in there, but usually it would be with code for a class. There are others using it for notes etc. but if Git thinks you're checking in a `binary blob' (Word doc. etc.) it just stores another copy, so you don't get the benefit of being able to diff changes. It still works for storage though.