[kwlug-disc] Best DIY git service options

John Sellens jsellens at syonex.com
Sat Dec 5 00:29:21 EST 2015

On Fri, 2015/12/04 11:47:17PM -0500, L.D. Paniak <ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com> wrote:
| > https://gogs.io/
|
| One thing that caught my eye is a requirement for traffic on port 3000.

Lots of self-contained apps seem to default to non-standard ports
(e.g. java apps).  I think in this case, one reason is that gogs runs as
non-root - typically as userid "git" - so binding to port 80 is difficult.
And of course if every app tried to claim 80/443 they wouldn't play
nicely more than one per machine.

The app.ini file lets you choose an alternate port.

And of course it's "easy" to front end it with nginx or
apache or netcat.

John