[kwlug-disc] Does anyone want to take over Thunderbird?

Fri Dec 4 15:49:18 EST 2015

> On Dec 4, 2015, at 3:43 PM, Nick Guenther <nguenthe at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> Ugh, it's just IRC with Web 3.0 features.

Yes, but which is also backward-compatible with IRC. That’s a big difference with “the others”, IMO.

> Chatrooms are great.  That's the appeal.  It has nothing to do with Slack, intrinsically. It's just that all other chatrooms are obscure or ugly.  No business exec is going to use tinychat or, sadly, despite all the work they put into it, XMPP conferences, and IRC clients are unpretty and also have some strange ideas about security and those terse little status flags. With Slack, people aren't going to give up their auto-embedded web content now without a fight.

Fair point, but I think that much like email etiquette can be taught (kind of), “chat room etiquette” can be taught.

> I worry that people who've never used a proper collaboration platform (like git or a network fs---Dropbox can count here), throwing documents up inline in chatrooms will become a norm, the same way doing that with email did.

heh; that description along with the discussion above just gave me a really good way to try to describe what Google Wave was.  A linear chatroom which allowed you to go back in time to edit what you’d written, even after others had commented on it.

> So does mattermost open an IRC port?  That I would be interested in.  But I would also need a better IRC client for android than I currently have...

https://github.com/42wim/matterbridge. I guess you can test it out on freenode's #matterbridge.

-A.