[kwlug-disc] Does anyone want to take over Thunderbird?

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 11:28:28 EST 2015

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/12/thunderbird-a-tax-on-firefox-development-and-mozilla-wants-to-drop-it/#p3

In short, Mozilla wants to unload Thunderbird so its devs can concentrate
on Firefox.

I found this a tad upsetting as I used Thunderbird as a replacement for
Outlook on my Windows machine, and I find Thunderbird to be a very good
Linux mail reader.  I also have the Enigmail addon in Thunderbird for my
encrypted stuff.  I also have the necessary addons to get Thunderbird to
manage my Google calendar.

Conversely, I recently decided to switch from Chrome to Firefox and to be
honest, I'm not impressed with Firefox.  Buggy stuff, especially when
dealing with Google pages.

And, as the article states, Mozilla hasn't been developing actively for
Thunderbird other than security fixes.  Which really doesn't bother me too
much as I like the program the way it is.

http://alternativeto.net/software/mozilla-thunderbird/ shows Thunderbird as
being way out in the lead for user preference for mail clients.

What is everyone here using for mail/calendar/encrypted mail/etc., these
days?  Is there a better alternative to Thunderbird that's cross-platform?