[kwlug-disc] [Android] I have a very expensive paperweight

Nick Guenther nguenthe at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Apr 29 18:37:27 EDT 2015

On 28/04/15 11:20 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 10:33 PM, Keefer Rourke <keefer.rourke at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone gone through anything similar with corrupted memory on their
>> devices, or dealt with restoring to stock firmware on non-Nexus devices?
>> Any advice?
>
> So, my advice is to look for TWRP for your specific device. This is a
> custom recovery that can do a lot of things, including reflashing, changing
> file systems, backup, ...etc.
> If you can't find TWRP, then look for ClockWorkMod (CWM).

For future reference, you should never be "searching" for TWRP, you
should be "selecting" it from their official releases at
http://teamw.in/Devices/. There seem to currently be two "Moto G"
devices listed, so you're in luck. If they didn't, there is a way to do
it yourself, though it is a bit of an investment: the source is at
https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery, a build guide is
at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1943625, and note
that you need to find a BoardConfig.mk file which will be provided with
the kernel source code that the manufacturer is, per the GPL, supposed
to provide somewhere on their website.

Once you have it you can run it by getting into fastboot mode on your
device (which is unfortunately not entirely standard) and then doing
`fastboot boot twrp.img`
(you can also `fastboot flash recovery twrp.img`, but it writes to flash
instead of to RAM so be wary of doing that, certainly be wary without a
backup of the original recovery partition).

In theory you could use a different recovery system besides TWRP, but
TWRP is the best by far at the moment. However, if your bootloader is
stuck locked, you won't be able to use it and you will need to get a
stock ROM and use whatever method the stock recovery expects. I know
that many companies have custom Windows apps for uploading ROMs through
their stock recoveries; I do not know if they all have different
protocols, but if there is a canonical protocol I haven't yet found
documentation and, especially, have not yet found a linux program which
speaks it (I also have an expensive brick at the moment; I've gotten
close to being able to fix it by circumventing the recovery, but I'm
*stuck*: see https://github.com/swetland/omap4boot/issues/8; what kind
of open source is this??).

I'll want to reemphasize what Khalid said that if you can't find a stock
ROM either from your sketchy filehost or somewhere else on XDA, try
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Devices or
http://omnirom.org/supported-devices/, and please share the results
because Android is a dark art, partly out of how popular it is (hence
how much mis- and outdated information spreads) and partly, I think,
because Google doesn't want to actually invest in making development on
their devices easy, only development on their OS.