[kwlug-disc] [Android] I have a very expensive paperweight

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Apr 28 23:20:27 EDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 10:33 PM, Keefer Rourke <keefer.rourke at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Has anyone gone through anything similar with corrupted memory on their
> devices, or dealt with restoring to stock firmware on non-Nexus devices?
> Any advice?

I did go through a similar exercise on my tablet. Luckily, it is one that
is well supported and there is a community around it. I gave a presentation
on it for KWLUG. Look for it in on the site.

In my case, the memory error was solved by reflowing the solder using a
heat gun on the flash chip.

But in your case, the hardware route may be a false error message.

So, my advice is to look for TWRP for your specific device. This is a
custom recovery that can do a lot of things, including reflashing, changing
file systems, backup, ...etc.
If you can't find TWRP, then look for ClockWorkMod (CWM).

Once you have that on, then you are half way there.

Then you can look for custom ROMS that you can load. If there is an OmniROM
build for your device, then go for that. I have used it and it is great.
Really fast. My version is 4.4.4 (KitKat).

Quick searches on Google indicate that both TWRP and OmniROM are supported
on the Moto G.

Each device is different, and would either have significant community
support, or very sparse.

Post whatever solution(s) you find and verify.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.