[kwlug-disc] Home made indoor TV Antenna

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Tue Sep 16 15:33:29 EDT 2014

On 2014-09-16 15:04, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> So, US channels is not an option without me having a tall tower like
> the people in the country side do ...

Much of Waterloo region is well over 150 km from the US border and the
HDTV stations on Grand Island NY, in the Niagara River.
As the crow flies distances to cities like Erie PA and others places in
NY or Ohio will be even longer.
And do not forget that there is the matter of the curvature of the earth
to contend with.

The old VHF frequencies are "line-of-sight". As are the newer UHF
frequencies, only more so. IIRC The HDTV frequencies are in the UHF
bands, well above VHF.
As Khalid said, a tall tower may be the only solution. And I do not know
how the HTDV channels will perform with even the best antenna.

Please excuse the Howard Simpson D'OH comment that follows:
The antenna can only do so much as it depends on the signal that reaches
the antenna.
The antenna will have a hard time "pulling in" a signal that is in the mud.

IIRC The last time the OTA reception of HDTV channels was discussed
here, some in KW were able to get stations from YYZ. At least one party
on the list was able to get OTA HDTV channels from Niagara Falls NY.
(But this party was either in Mississauga or Milton, not Waterloo Region.)

JohnJ