[kwlug-disc] Creative Commons Podcasts

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Sep 13 00:23:45 EDT 2014

I've been listening to some of Chris Zabriskie's music -- nice
instrumental stuff for when you need to concentrate and don't want to
be distracted by mushy, meaningful or other meaty lyrics.

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Chris_Zabriskie/

As a one-off there's Scratch on the album Dik Dok by Ergo Phizmiz. But
as with vinyl, it's the only one on the album I really like.

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Ergo_Phizmiz/DIK_DOK

And as for podcasts, a non-nerdy podcast would be the Canadalandshow
by Jesse Brown. Well, tech non-nerdy -- it's certainly a good show
for journalism nerds.

http://canadalandshow.com/

A suitable sample episode might be the one on Rob Ford:
http://canadalandshow.com/podcast/what-only-press-knows-about-rob-ford

I've grown fond of Hacker Public Radio, many of which contributors I
know through the Fediverse.

http://hackerpublicradio.org/

Most episodes are nerdy, but what do you expect from something called
Hacker Public Radio... Good episodes include "How to skin a snake" by
Jezra (may contain snake-skinning language):
http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=1511

Also "How to smoke a pipe" by Matt McGraw:
http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=1359

- --Bob.

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> Phone: +1-519-669-0388
SOBAC Microcomputer Services http://sobac.com/sobac/
http://bob.jonkman.ca/blogs/ http://sn.jonkman.ca/bobjonkman/
Software --- Office & Business Automation --- Consulting

On 12/09/14 07:58 PM, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> So we have determined that nobody on the list listens to
> CC-licensed music (that they are willing to admit). Is anybody
> listening to good CC-licensed podcasts that might be a good fit
> for our Free Culture disc? It would be nice if not all the
> podcasts were nerdy tech ones.
>
> If so, post a description and the links to 2-3 episodes that you
> think are worth listening to. You can follow the examples set
> here:
>

> http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/2014/Canada/Kitchener/TWC/FreeCultureSamplerSFD2014

in the "Podcasts and Talks" section.