[kwlug-disc] Which desktop?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Oct 30 10:51:17 EDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:36 AM, B.S.
> Let alone some day I'll check out what speed difference there is if the vm
> is on an SSD! Hmmm.

Makes a big difference. Linode upgraded their VPS's to use SSD and
they are blazing fast. Amazon EC2 is also moving towards SSD.

Me? I have an SSD of decent size (256GB) but it is from a bad
reputation manufacturer (OCZ, later purchased by Toshina), so I am
reluctant to upgrade the laptop to that ...

> However, since you're now the vm guru of the list [whether you like it or
> not (-: ], I suspect you'll be firing one of these gui's up yourself in a vm
> long before that time frame ends. (-:

Far from a guru. I just test/learn stuff then talk about it. That is all.

Also, I tend not to run GUI stuff on VMs, since I find in house VMs in
general to be slower than bare metal (even on a quad core), specially
when there is lot of I/O.

So, for my own purposes, they are find for testing. But for
production? I outsource the infrastructure to someone who does it
well, like Linode. Mostly headless servers, no GUI.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.