[kwlug-disc] question about Webcam, Mic, Headphone for Skype video calls

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 30 09:19:00 EDT 2014

No way around it. As long as Windows is the largest installed base of
desktops, and you have to communicate with some of them, it is what it
is and we all just have to deal.

Never mind that there are better or equally good solutions, be it the
various google things (hangouts, talk, voice), linphone, ekiga, or the like.

There are only so many hours in a day, and to twist each conversant's
arm to install or do something different than they already 'know' how to
do gets old really fast. [Doesn't help when Windows does all of them,
Mac and Linux only some, Blackberry even less.]

I expect this will change over time, like said earlier, Skype on Linux
seems mired in old and out of date i386 functionality - yet somehow it's
still here despite being years out of date already.