[kwlug-disc] Which desktop?

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 30 08:59:07 EDT 2014

 > So, larger community, more likely to get fixes and support, ...etc.

Right, well ... maybe. Remember, the OP to which this is responding
(firing up Skype, perhaps for a one or only a few off) (let alone being
KDE users) - kde, which is essentially to say, qt based.

I don't dispute that lxqt isn't 'real' but probably bears worth
watching. If the stated reason for shift is from gtk3 towards a more
'real' environment, and they're not alone in the larger community for
that (?), then there may be something to where they're headed. [Not
intending or interested in a qt / gtk flamewar here - just that there
must be something to this debate, given it's discussion prevalence. Deja
vu to systemd, here, or gplv3 even.]

I am encouraged by the blurb there (http://lxqt.org/) about not
reinventing the wheel. Which is to say, it doesn't feel like there will
be any lack of fixes or support should it be needed. So I think distro
popularity must be taken with some inspection - to include what is the
repository source, and what feeds it. If it's all internal remunging and
refactoring, then I think your comment probably directly applies.
Otherwise, maybe not, e.g. Debian sources. [It's a kernel, plus apps ...
distro is just a vehicle to apps getting to the kernel so the user can
perform real value add work - some (you and I, anyways) may say, without
an extraordinary amount of desktop baggage coming along, such as seems
to have happened with KDE/Kubuntu. Within that all, however, comes the
gtk vs qt debate, and the presence or likelihood of the gui apps you
need or want being present. Never mind that there's no reason you can't
have both, simultaneously even, not just switching to one or the other.]

 > Not an urgent thing. Perhaps not before 2016 when the next LTS comes out.

I don't think the next LTS coming out much bears. Ubuntu server, which
is to say, the repositories that come with it, will probably always be
your de rigeur system - for all the reasons you state. But, there is no
desktop inherent to that - so such is a different question / debate /
answer.

Did come across these, which seems encouraging in the sense of this
reasoning seeming likely to hold water.

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2013/12/install-lxqt-via-ppa-in-ubuntu-14-04-13-10/

http://xpressubuntu.wordpress.com/2014/03/01/installing-the-lightweight-lxde-qt-desktop/

Perhaps I'll even getting around to trying one of these with the next
vm. Probably not long after Monday. (-: