[kwlug-disc] Hard disk smartctl errors

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Oct 15 22:08:26 EDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 08:51:49PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> # mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmp/
> ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
> Failed to read hiberfil.sys: Input/output error
> Failed to mount '/dev/sdb2': Input/output error
> NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
> SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
> then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
> important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate it
> and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
> /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
> for more details.

If this was my computer I would still try taking an image first. The
advice to run chkdsk /f might work, but also might orphan a lot of
stuff.

> Looking at gddrescue examples, they all assume another disk with a
> spare partition to recover to.

You don't need a spare partition. You do need another disk with
sufficient space. You can just write a giant image file to this second
disk.

- Paul

--
Need election information? Big list of resources here:
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/showthread.php?tid=149