[kwlug-disc] Tablet shopping

Paul Gallaway paul at gallaway.ca
Fri Oct 3 17:08:29 EDT 2014

I've been considering a tablet device for myself, I had been looking
at Android mainly, but just today the Windows 8 tablets just caught my
eye (bear with me here). There seem to be a number of reasonably
spec'd 8" tablets (e.g. Asus Vivotab, Lenovo Miix 2) that are
comparable to some of the higher end Android tablets (e.g. quad core,
2GB ram, 32GB/64 flash) and they appear to be on clearance/sale at
various retailers for <$300. These seem like they would be ripe for
Linux on tablet. Initial searching indicates that it is possible, but
I'm yet to find someone indicate that they are using Linux on one of
these tablets daily. Seems more just like proof of concept installs or
person solves install problem and does not report back what using it
is like. Anyone on the list have experience with installing Linux on a
Windows tablet? Anyone know what the state of Linux on a tablet is
like?

~pAul.

all good things, all in good time...