[kwlug-disc] Rogers punched in the face by Netflix

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu May 15 20:04:34 EDT 2014

I heard yesterday that Neflix is responsible for 1/3 of all traffic in
North America.

No doubt you can beat the stat up in various ways, e.g. over
generalization that may/not apply to Canada.

Regardless, a lot of noise is coming vis a vis net neutrality, and the
cost is in the pipe not what passes through it.

Of course they want to charge by byte, not by pipe, their revenue model
gains room for further profit, unlike if they are limited to merely
operating as a utility. More profit, happier investors, unhappier
customers. In this Canadian non-competitive environment, the former will
prevail.

Let's see what we can do to prevent that.