[kwlug-disc] Rogers punched in the face by Netflix

Jason Locklin jalockli at uwaterloo.ca
Thu May 15 13:06:36 EDT 2014

This was averaged across customers, so any ISP with lots of "internet lite"
type subscribers will come out low. I think a lot of Teksavvy customers are
people willing to pay for a quality connection, so that would bump up their
average. Also, recording Bell's fiber customers in it's own category is a
little unfair in this respect. On my Acanac cable connection, I never see
my downlink drop to even double the average rates reported there (though, I
don't have an easy way to check what Netflix is using).

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Darcy Casselman <dscassel at gmail.com>wrote:

> Michael Geist adds some interesting commentary, as per usual:
>
> http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/7127/125/
>

> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 8:11 PM, Charles M <chaslinux at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> http://www.stockhouse.com/news/newswire/2014/05/12/rogers-t-rci-b-flunks-netflix-isp-speed-test-ranks-last
>>
>> Basically it says Netflix ranked ISPs for their ability to stream Netflix
>> and Rogers came last (even behind Teksavvy).
>>
>> Further down there's a bit from a senior Rogers VP talking about when the
>> test was done and how Rogers has "invested" in upgrading their
>> infrastructure specifically to enhance Netflix streaming.
>>
>> But if you Google the article it looks like the real reason Rogers failed
>> was throttling, so all they had to do ("investment") was figure out how not
>> to throttle Netflix?

_
Jason