[kwlug-disc] Home made indoor TV Antenna

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun May 11 23:14:15 EDT 2014

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 11:06 PM, John Johnson <jvj at golden.net> wrote:

> At least two things could be happening here. Taking a guess at one, your
> hand and you could be forming an RF ground plane for the antenna and by
> this, increasing its gain.
>
> And another guess I will offer is that your hand and you could be forming
> an RF element that skews the antenna pick up lobe more towards the
> transmitter than it was before. The antenna pick up lobe will have more
> gain in one direction as compared to another.

A bit over my head as a non-hardware/non-physics guy.

But, more importantly, how can I use this info to improve the antenna?

The mast is a galvanized conduit type, so highly conductive.

For example: Get a roll of kitchen aluminium foil and create a solar sail
contraption a metre wide? Until a neighbour complains?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.