[kwlug-disc] Home made indoor TV Antenna

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Sun May 11 23:06:48 EDT 2014

On 2014-05-11 21:11, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> CHCJ does come in with 100% signal quality if I hold the mast with my
> bare hand!
> When I release the mast, it disappears!
> This tells me a larger antenna may be better.

A Rowan Atkinson skit with a TV and rabbit ears antenna comes to mind.

More seriously, it appears that the hand and the biological construction
attached to the hand became part of the antenna system.

At least two things could be happening here. Taking a guess at one, your
hand and you could be forming an RF ground plane for the antenna and by
this, increasing its gain.

And another guess I will offer is that your hand and you could be
forming an RF element that skews the antenna pick up lobe more towards
the transmitter than it was before. The antenna pick up lobe will have
more gain in one direction as compared to another.

Regards
JohnJ