[kwlug-disc] Icedove?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat May 10 23:09:41 EDT 2014

unsolicited asks:
> Why they have to keep mucking with it,

License restrictions on non-free software.  The name "Firefox",
"Mozilla" and the icons and logos are trademarked. The Mozilla Public
License (MPL) allows you to redistribute the code without
modifications, but if you modify the code you may not reuse the names,
icons and logos.  So, even a trivial change requires a major cosmetic
change.

The only change for Firefox in the Debian repositories is a legal
change[1] -- aside from some minor upgrades, I expect the Debian Free
Software Licence doesn't want to redistribute software under the more
restrictive MPL, and that requires re-branding the software.

The Mozilla license is one-way compatible with the GPL[1], in that
Mozilla-licensed software can be re-licensed as a "Larger Work", but
software licensed under GPL can't be resdistributed under a more
restrictive license. I expect the same is true for the DFSL.

- --Bob.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Iceweasel#line-1-1

[2] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#MPL-2.0

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com>          Phone: +1-519-669-0388