[kwlug-disc] Easy Software based VPN

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed May 7 20:23:42 EDT 2014

If you have users, you have user administration. It is what it is.
Something has to land on the client end; they will have to start/stop
it; thus there is something to explain.

Unless, like I said, you intend an always on solution - which you could
automate. However, as soon as is doesn't work (e.g. no internet
connectivity their end), you will get a call and have to explain something.

It would help us if you could tell us approximately how many users
you're talking about, and for what connectivity. e.g. File sharing vs
e-mail reading to your local e-mail server. And whether this is connect
from anywhere, homes, or a limited number of locations.

The time hardware dedicated devices really shine is site to site. Any
other scenario means users, and thus user learning curve to explain.

You could simplify some of this by having everyone use the same 'keys',
but you'll lose any audit trail in the process. Which may not matter -
if they have a userid/password for file access, that provides your
trail, if how they connected in the first place is not particularly
important. (And once compromised, you'll have to change everyone. e.g.
An employee leaving.)

You could trial this easy enough via OpenVPN and an OpenWRT box or
temporary PC. A vm even. From the trial you could determine the level of
user support required, frequency of use / value, and thus how many $
you're willing to throw at it.

One of the reasons I'll recommend google things over FOSS / in house
stuff some times is because of the richness of internet content / help.
So, for example, google groups and drive has its place (even if hosted
in the U.S. / subject to U.S. snooping) over mailman and dropbox.

So, I can see where there are times that a dedicated 'symantec' (?) vpn
box makes sense over openvpn. Ease of user self-help when they have
problems. e.g. The VPN gui (e.g. symantec?) 'help' choice in the gui.

However, I have heard of cases where the world has moved on from
hardware solutions as initially implemented, making them into boat
anchors. e.g. VPN Clients available for XP, but not Win 7.

Boxes like pfSense, ddwrt, openwrt, etc., are in essence hardware
solution equivalents - regardless of the hardware, some software of some
sort, and thus a user interface, is being run. At least the former will
have a richer / easier security patch / future proof environment.

If you can tell us what resistance you encountered to pfsense, et al,
perhaps we can help. There are, after all, equivalents to every hardware
dedicated device. In the end, it's all software.

No matter what you do, having users connect in an alternate manner is
'different', and thus something to be educated.

Perhaps that's the key here for you - ease of user experience. It's not
about the dedicated hardware back end, but ease of use of the software
client. Perhaps then the OpenVPN paid service makes as much sense as
anything - if the client is as easy to use as any proprietary solution.
Regardless of the back end, it's a one off, so whether it be installing
openvpn on a server or purchasing a hardware solution, six to one, half
a dozen to the other?

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsecur/article.php/3844861/OpenVPN-Is-Too-Slow-Time-to-Consider-IPSEC.htm