[kwlug-disc] Cutting the cord

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Mar 29 13:00:44 EDT 2014

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Charles M <chaslinux at gmail.com> wrote:

> I found the proxy using the interestingly named hidemyass.com (you'd
> think it was a sleazy site with that name, but it lets you filter a bunch
> of proxies by country).

Do you mean you just browsed from here?
http://hidemyass.com/proxy/
Or did you search their forums to get a Proxy?

I tried it for PBS Video, for example http://video.pbs.org/video/2365179383/.
Although WNED advertise that they serve Buffalo and Toronto, when you try
to get videos from their site, they greet  you with a "We're sorry, but
this video is not available in your region due to right restrictions."

Plugging in Chicago does not unblock the site for me.

I know some are using unblocking services, where they pay a few dollars a
month for a USA IP address. That would work too, but it would be best if
you can change the IP address for the smart TV (or XBMC) only, and not the
entire home network.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.