[kwlug-disc] Cutting the cord

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Mar 29 01:46:11 EDT 2014

Do a search for free VPN.

I have done this for Hulu testing successfully. (Windows only thus far,
I think - just never got as far on my Linux box. More to do with haven't
switched my media 'centre' to Linux yet.)

In essence, it proxie's my http fetch as coming from a U.S. IP, so it
serves content, as it does not from my normal Canadian IP. (Geo locked.)

I would be very surprised if there is no Columbian free VPN. Even if so,
perhaps such a service wouldn't be too expensive.

It was dead easy to do, especially after I got it working the first
time, and then knew what to look for.

One gotcha to keep an eye on: Don't let it add a default gateway route -
all your traffic will then come from Columbia! You could set up a static
route and tell it not to add routes. If you have to add proxy settings,
make sure you only proxy that IP address, same reason.

IIRC, you'll end up doing something like 'ifconfig eth0.1 <web address>
mask 255.255.255.255 <eeyyy>' (Etc., etc., yada, yada, yada) It may grab
the actual content from a different site, so you may need more than one
route before you have complete success.