[kwlug-disc] what is the perfect openWRT router?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Mar 28 15:32:14 EDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 1:52 PM, CrankyOldBugger
<crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>wrote:

> So that just leaves the home phone, currently a POTS from Bell.  I'm
> looking at how to replace that next, probably with VoIP.  Any suggestions?
>  I know this has come up in this group's discussions before, but I don't
> need a lot of fancy features.  Just call display and a simple voicemail,
> and the option to keep our old number.  Does anyone know of a simple
> solution for home phone?  Remember that Wifeski wants something that anyone
> can operate without having to know serious tech...

I've mentioned them before, because I use them, and would recommend them to
anyone.

The basic plan is $4 a month, and gets you free calling to all of Canada,
and voice mail (but not email notification of voicmail, which is free with
the $10 additional Premier). It can be operated by anyone who knows how to
use a phone handset. And they have 911 included. You can try them free for
60 days on a temporary number, then transfer your real phone number to them
if you like them for $40 (or free if you sign up for a 1 year Premier
account).

http://ca.ooma.com/products/basic

Initial cost is $130 or so retail, or $99 with referral.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.