[kwlug-disc] OpenWRT presentation?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Mar 28 13:44:03 EDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Shadowy cabal[0] says: August is available. Should we book the entire
> slot for OpenWRT

Yes.

That would be 11th August, since 4th Aug is Civic Holiday?

Let us plan for that.

> and possibly Asterisk?

Yes. If Lori is up to redoing his Asterisk on OpenWRT for the second hour,
that would be really great.

> I personally am interested in Robert's question as well. We recently
> went through the same exercise of finding a good OpenWRT-compatible
> router to purchase, but got frustrated because there were few solid
> recommendations (and solid recommendations were not that well
> supported given hardware revisions). We ended up getting Mikrotik
> routers, which in principle are OpenWRT-compatible but which in
> practice we will use with the stock proprietary firmware (which
> provides the features we would want out of the box). I do not know
> that I am looking for detailed step-by-step instructions, but a few
> solid recommendations of reliable routers that are well-supported
> would be nice.

The issue is that whatever we select and "certify" now, will be obsolete in
6 months. Either the stores will not be stocking that particular model
anymore, or the manufacturer has a new C version that is a totally
different chipset, or the new release of the software will be supporting
other stuff. It is a treadmill ...

I talk from experience. It is hard to match what is on the Wiki to what is
available at Bestbuy/Futureshop/CanadaComputers.

I needed to replace my router urgently over a year ago. The old router
worked perfectly, until a new device caused it to reboot every time it
tried to connect, and there was no time to do the research so I bought what
was on sale at the time.

> [0] I presume this is the shadowy scheduling cabal, and not the
> shadowy FLOSS Fund cabal.

We don't know who the cabal is, nor what they do. So it is all the same for
us poor peons.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.